Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Our crazy arrival

So I wanted to tell you all about our crazy traveling to visit our families...(and just so I don't forget later too!)
The boys and I took off from Midway and were supposed to have a short layover in Denver before continuing to the Springs. Unfortunately, our plane was delayed in leaving which meant a delay in getting into Denver. What was once a 40 min. lay over was now a 20 minute layover in which I had to get from gate A2 to gate A62! The first hangup in all of this is that instead of leaving my stroller in Denver after I had gate checked it at Midway, they sent it all the way through to the Springs. So somehow, I had to get me, my heavy bag, 2 boys and 2 backpacks from one end of the airport to the other. YIKES!
I stopped just outside A2 to ask if she could call ahead and ask them to hold the flight. She said that she couldn't call ahead, but that I should take a cart and it would get me there in time. I started heading towards A62, hoping I would see one as I went but there weren't any! So I kept walking and at gate A20 I decided to try asking again for them to hold the flight. This time, the flight attendant wouldn't even look at me and told me that she couldn't call ahead and I would just have to run!
From the moment we started running at gate A2, Noah was cry/screaming. I have never known the feeling of having so many people staring, but its not a feeling I wish to repeat. Noah wasn't really running when he was crying that hard and after a few gates, he fell down.
In my mind, there was only one option...pick up both boys, both back packs, my bag and run. I made it to about gate A35 before I collapsed. I was trying to calm the boys down (who were both screaming at the top of their lungs at this point), catch my breath and pray that God would make those last few minutes stretch to allow me time to make it to the gate. I honestly didn't know what to do. I was just about in tears myself and as I was just about to get back up and try again, a representative of Frontier (the airline we just happened to be flying on) came up to ask what was going on. I quickly explained and he grabbed all three bags, told me to grab the boys and we'd run together. He also just happened to have a radio that he could use to call ahead and ask them to hold the flight!
It was like a scene from a movie...us running through the airport, the attendant at my gate running out to get my name so she could speed up the process, and the feeling of making it just in time. There were several people there to help us get on the plane and help me calm down the boys and as we sat down in our seats, I glanced at my watch...6:05! (5 minutes after we were supposed to have taken off!)
We made it!!
(Wanna know what the irony was of all of this? We ended up sitting on the runway for an extra 15 minutes waiting to take off since there was only 1 runway open. Go figure!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I have to admit - I laughed after the last part! Isn't that the way it always goes?! Glad you made it and glad someone was helpful!

Unknown said...

You are a super mom...even to flying through airports, able to carry and leap in your efforts to achieve greatness! What an awesome story of how just 1 person, with a radio, who cares, can make a difference. Thank you to the unknown Frontier gentelman who came to your rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad that you are all here for a time!!
Love you
Nonni