Friday, August 19, 2011

Colorado part 2

...when you're on vacation as a parent, all rules and schedules and routines go out the window. And this trip was no exception. My boys did pretty well, I do have to give them credit for that. But you can tell when they've about reached their brink, and we reached that several times in the weeks we were there. I would love to tell you they were perfect angels. I'd also love to paint a picture of my "perfect children" who did the right thing the whole time. But who would I be fooling, and something tells me that years down the road when I go back to relive their little years, I'll need a chance to laugh at how easy these problems were compared to the ones I will be facing :)
All that to say, as one of the first of all our friends and family to have children, the prideful side of me had a hard time letting everyone see that I didn't have it all together. That my children weren't perfect; respectful, kind and obedient at every turn. But God was good at reminding me that people don't need to see someone completely put together. They really need to see someone touched by His grace and mercy. What I really need to be portraying is someone who is allowing God to mold her through the parenting process and dealing with each new situation with patience and love.
Deep thoughts for a vacation blog, but hey...you can't choose where you learn your lessons:) So, let's get back to some of those pictures...
While we only got a small chance to catch up with my youngest brother and his wife, I was thankful for a chance to remember how much I love them:)
I was also thankful for my older brother who made an effort to give us lots of time with Lily.
A chance for them to escape...to the park:)
Has anyone seen Noah? He was just here with us and now I seem to have lost him.
Oh, my how I love this girl. It didn't take her long to win a special place in this Aunties heart. Now, if only she'd actually let me hold her without all the screaming:)
Ah, the pure joy a child can find in a simple slide.
Breven is so much different than Noah in that he doesn't jump into anything with both feet. He's a sit, watch, contemplate and then maybe go for it, but only in the conditions are right kind of guy. Every ride on the slide is a new opportunity to think it through.
My parents have saved a lot of the toys from when we were growing up. And we discovered the motherlode of Legos. We spent an entire morning here on the front porch in the shade playing with all the new Lego creations. Lily was even introduced to the boys current passion.
And I successfully helped my mom cut off 24 inches of hair. Thats right...24 INCHES! I was so proud of her and she has seriously gained a minimum of 10 years back with her new 'do. Lily was wondering what it would be like to have so much hair, but decided it was just to hot to really handle.
We spent some much needed relaxation time one afternoon at a park that happens to be very special to Aaron and I. Its the same park where we celebrated our first anniversary of being a couple. And its also the park where he proposed.
The park is huge with lots of area to run and paths to walk on and even some ponds perfect for throwing rocks into.
We stopped off for lunch at a pond that seemed to have become a dog heaven. They were swimming all over in the water, going after toys and cooling off which provided perfect entertainment for the boys as they ate. And just before we left the pond, someone brought in a remote control boat. I must be a mom of boys because even I thought that looked like fun:) I really enjoy seeing all the love the boys get from all the family and friends in CO.
There is no doubt that these boys are cared for!
Who knew 10 years ago, when we started our biblestudy, we'd still be getting together!

0 comments: