Monday, February 14, 2011

Day of love...

Happy Valentines Day!
God has given me a great love. Someone to share my daily life with, to learn from and grow old with...
...and another someone who reminds me that life is for being silly, curious, imaginative and full of hope...
...and He's given me someone who makes me smile and laugh, on a regular basis.
I've been thinking though, that Valentines Day isn't just a day to show your friends and family love. Its also a time to remember God's great love for us. I've been thinking about these verses today and wanted to share them with you.
"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."1 John 4:9-10
Pure, true love. God went to the extreme to show me love. He didn't give me a pat on the back, bring me a flower or make me a card. And while those aren't bad things, He went so much further. Even knowing how I would fail Him, hurt Him and possibly reject Him, he chose to show me the ultimate-eternal forgiveness and life with Him.
"Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made com." 1 John 4:11-12
I want today to be a day that you are reminded, no matter where you are or how you will celebrate today, God has given you an amazing Valentine. Will you accept it? And will you share it with others?
And as I was going through pics today, I came across this. Do you remember making mail boxes to use on Valentines Day? Spending so much time making it your own and then waiting to see who your friends were that would give you fun cards and candy?!?! I loved making those mail boxes and while A and I were dating, we had a contest to make mailboxes. Of course his would have a putting green on top:)
What traditions do you have for Valentines Day?

1 comments:

Nature Notes from Nadvornia said...

you and larsky are adorable! And your kids are too! I've been thinking about the real reason for valentines day too, and how it get's so easily lost. If we are celebrating love, then we should be celebrating God, for God is love! Today I taught the kids the little chorus "praise Him, praise Him all ye little children; God is love, God is love! praise Him, praise Him all ye little children, God is love, God is love." one of my traditions for any holiday is to try and find a song, chorus or verse for them to learn in connection with it.